Thursday, March 28, 2013

Battlestar Galactica and Boring Evil

I'm a later comer to Battlestar Galactica (the new one, not the 1970's show). My brother has been telling me for several years that I should watch it and so I've been checking it out on Netflix for the past couple of weeks. I do enjoy good storytelling and character development and it's been fun to follow the storyline as these people work to survive and find a new home.

But lately I've been feeling tired of it as it seems that it's getting a little bit trashier as it goes along. Some of the characters are wearing me out because of they carry no redemptive possibility. I realize all this could change since I'm only 1/3 of the way through the first season, but it got me asking the question - what makes a character interesting?

Dr. Gaius Baltar is a character on the show who at this point has completely given in to self-protection and pleasure seeking. He is entirely ego-centric. In the beginning of the show Dr. Baltar was a more dynamic and interesting character because there was some conflict between his selfish side and his sense of guilt for his choices. But now that he's just plain selfish I find his character to to be just that... too plain.

My conclusion is that evil alone is simply boring. Evil needs to play off of righteousness to even keep your attention. A curious line of thought to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment