Thursday, June 27, 2013

Go and Teach Now: Pt. 2 "Missionaries are Complete Weirdos"

It took me a long time to begin to actually care whether other people heard the Gospel.  Of course, I knew I was supposed to care, but honestly I didn't see that desire begin to come true till my mid-twenties.

As I look back now,  I can see where it began. Last time I told you about how my youth minister Richard showed me that anyone can follow Jesus (not just 'professionals') and challenged me to read the Bible and pray daily.  Well, after being our youth minister for a little while, he left. This great new role model moved away! Far away! In fact, he moved all the way to Germany. He became a missionary.



Now this may not seem like a big deal, but Richard was the very first missionary I had ever known in real life. I had only heard about these weird people who are so fanatical that they'd trapse around the globe to tell people about what Jesus had done for them. I could not relate at all to those bizarre people called missionaries. Total weirdos.

One night before he left, Richard asked us what it meant to be a missionary. An awkward group of awkward teenagers held their characteristically awkward silence. He went on to explain that all Christians are missionaries. We are called to enter into the work of God in the world. We have a mission from Jesus and everything we do is involved.

One of the best ways my youth minister did youth ministry was to leave and be a missionary. We were his support team on the ground back home so we kept in touch and were a part of the work. I had a real friend who wasn't a complete religious freak but whom I deeply admired... he was pretty normal... and he was a missionary? Yes. I learned those two years he was away that missionaries are real people, living a real life as workers with Jesus.

Even today that reality continues to make its way into my heart. 

To be continued...

---------------

This blog series is a reflection on how a longterm friend's life of discipleship before God has shaped my life. I hope you'll visit  www.goandteachnow.com and see what Richard is up to these days as he lives and teaches in Honduras.

No comments:

Post a Comment