Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Poem from Laity Lodge

I have more I'd like to say about this past weekend at Laity Lodge with the Rabbit Room folks, but for now I'll fulfill a favor to my friend Diana by posting a poem I wrote in Jennifer Thrafton Peterson's fantastic writing workshop. 

A quick explanation... Jennifer had laid out on the table tops hundreds of little tickets with words or phrases written on them. We were asked to wander around and make from these scattered words phrases or pairings silly as you please or otherwise. We wrote those on a piece of paper. Then we were asked to use them to write a poem of praise. I found myself giggling with veritable glee as I rummaged the word hoard. I'm still feeling the joy of this imaginative exercise!  So here's my poem. 


Glory be to God
     For wretched rhinoceros grabbing glubs!
     Raise a gnat shout for savoury surgeon ice cream
     all you sizzling dinosaur faced ones! 
Enjoy more cowboy courage. 
Can't you smell, spectacular nostrils? 

Welcome home restless infant, forget that slow 
spooky dance  and open your soul to tremulous 
honesty at the end of the path, 
rambunctious sky-dancing planets, 
the mystery of ask - 
the surprising manner in which the magic 
goat's beard tucked away pampered desire. 

One last look glided tenderly alone 
and the awkwardly laughing community 
     stood fast. 

Imagine the feeling. When sculpted spiders yanked
all I wanted to be. Save the world 
pungent applesauce! 
Save us from this cleverly tunneling 
technology leviathan. From the malevolent 
raven goggles - we surrounded
by cantankerous tarantula hoards. 

I remember when the freeloading 
caterpillars thumped the sacred places. 
How could I forget how the towering wild
horses croaked glowing mushrooms - 
     we were lost then - 
The weight of the hippopotamus 
made it all seem stronger than steel. 

     But then... 

Run faster creeping venom giants! 
Nightmare held captive! 

     Finally...

Ruby heaven masterpiece. 
Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment