Saturday, July 13, 2013

What Happened in Wisconsin...

Last weekend I packed up the car and headed to William's Bay, Wisconsin for Under the Radar's Escape to the Lake Conference. Do you know about Under the Radar?  It's an online radio show/podcast featuring the "The best music you've never heard" from independent Christian artists. "Gourmet music" as host Dave Trout puts it. Most of the singer/songwriters I admire most have found a home on www.radarradio.net. Even I've gotten to land there lately! You should definitely check it out if you love high quality, non-mainstream Christian music.

Top to bottom, L-R: Jon Troast, Myself and Andy Gullahorn, Tim Coons
Nick Flora, Eric Peters, Andy Gullahorn
Group session, Christa Wells and Nicole Witt

Escape to the Lake was part Conference, part retreat, and part music festival. I loved that it was small enough to really get to know most of the folks there. I made some wonderful new friends at the meal table, around the late-night campfires, and in the small songwriter rounds. So many wonderful people and a great variety of excellent and creative performers and storytellers. I can't wait to return next year!

I was especially honored to get to share the stage at the opening concert with some amazing songwriters. Eric Peters, Nick Flora, Tim Coons, and I did a songwriter's round to kick the weekend off. Nick Flora graced the crowd with a forth of July cover of Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA". All wept, of course.

Rich Mullins has been a big influence on me over the years and recently a movie has been made about his life (Ragamuffin Movie). Rich's brother Dave showed up to share with us about the project. He was a delight and I'm even more excited to see the film after his Q&A. Afterward, I sat and shared conversation and milkshakes with Dave in the late night. I was thankful for his lack of pretension and his kindness. It was a gift to sit with him (and it was my 33rd birthday!).

Overall the best part of the weekend was the focus on people. Every component kept its center in the reality of the life of relationship that Jesus purchased for us by his death. The time was filled with good connection to people - whether through food, music, conversation, nature, rest, beauty or milkshakes. A beautiful time. Thanks Under the Radar and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment